Monday, January 4, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds: lots of books, minimilist style

As I was saying in my Stuff is Evil post, meet THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS:

              One of the ways that I am minimizing that I am really looking forward to is:




An Amazon Kindle! OR A Nook!



I know, it may not make complete sense. I mean, $259 for a book reading device?
Here's how I justify it though.

  • Rick and I are planning on living on a boat, instead of owning a house. 
    • Not much room on a boat.
  • I like to collect the books that are my favorites so I can pick it up and read it whenever it catches my fancy.
    • The kindle 2 stores up to 1500 books,  and so can the Nook, but the Nook is also capable of expanding the memory to as much as a minisd memory card disk will allow--up to 16gb. The Nook itself has 2 gb so that makes it 18gb of storage space. If I did the math right, then I could hold up to 13,500 books in one Nook! That sounds about perfect for my book collecting hobby...
  • The Kindle 2 also has international wireless, so I can get a new book anytime I want. The Nook requires an internet hookup outside of the US, I believe.
    • (The downside of that is I can get a book anytime I want and I am a bit of an impulse buyer.)
  • The device is 1/3 of an inch, about the thickness of a pencil. 
    • The downside there is that Rick thinks I will break it.
    • The Nook is a little thicker than the Kindle, so that might be better. :)
      • I might.
  • I currently have over 30lbs of books sitting on my bookshelf.
  • Seriously though! A device that stores 1500+ books that is the thickness of a magazine! That is amazing and totally worth $259!
    • Another downside, I have to wait until I save up the money to get it because I can't afford it yet. I am so excited!
I am really leaning toward the Nook because that expandable memory is just so enticing! 

I recently spoke with a Barnes and Noble representative who told me that they are expanding their selection of ebook textbooks so they can be purchased for the Nook! How amazing! Instead of lagging around ten pounds of books, you get to carry around an 11 oz device, provided they have the eformat of your book available! 

That information sort of makes me sad that I will be graduating in four terms!

No comments:

Post a Comment