Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apathetic America

I woke up this morning and immediately had the debate on my mind. Unfortunately, I have yet to watch it because Rick was working and we are going to watch it together. Still, I woke up in that mindset.

I was thinking about how different out would be to live in a place like France, where the government actually listens to the people. I wonder if out is because of the French revolution. If I were in power I would be wary of causing a political uprising like that. I'm sure that isn't the only reason the government in France is more responsive, just one of many. The other big one is that as citizens, Americans tends to be lazy. We don't take to the streets very often. We sit behind our TVs and our computer screens and yell at inanimate objects instead of putting that energy to good use.

If we took our role as citizens more seriously, I am sure change would come. If we actually wrote letters, made calls, took to the streets, change would come. Until then, we are stuck with an apathetic nation that doesn't give a damn about anything but making money.

No comments:

Post a Comment