Tuesday, May 18, 2010

An eBook Update

I talked a few months ago about how I'm changing my library from physical to digital via the ebook format.

I downloaded the Barnes and Noble ereader for free from their website, which is available for iphone, blackberry, pc and mac.

eBooks tend to be about 20% cheaper than physical books, even when they first come out. They have ebook sales sometimes, recently I noted the complete works of Jane Austen for $0.99. That's pretty astounding to me!

I like the idea of a digital library because it allows me to have all the books I want, while not taking up space. This is especially helpful because on a 42' sailboat there is no room to spare for a library. I don't even have to use up space on my laptop if I don't want to because Barnes and Noble allows you to archive the books on their website once you establish an account with them. You can re-download them at your leisure when you want to read it again!

While I really enjoy the convenience of having a stack of books that I can store digitally, sometimes it can be a little frustrating.

  • For example, sometimes I'll be waiting for something and it will take longer for my computer to boot up than it takes for the event to take place. I would really like to pass those few minutes reading, but it doesn't work out very well with the digital format
  • I also really really love Powell's Books, but now the magic of going into the store is gone because I'm looking for ebooks more than actual books. Powell's doesn't have a very large selection of ebooks. :( 
  • Once you buy an ebook, you're stuck with it. As far as I know, you cannot sell back ebooks, and I'm not even sure you can get them refunded.
Overall though, I really do like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment