Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hating your future self

I feel like procrastination is a big problem in the student world.

I am a third year student. I will be a senior starting next term. I have been on the Dean's List for all but two terms (stupid Philosophy), I am super organized and need to be in order to continue my profession. I'm in the Honor's Program and a specialized degree plan, and still I feel like college is kicking my butt, despite my apparent "adeptness" to education.

Why is that?

I am took a class last term called "Trans-formative Experiences" which evaluates the role of experiences in education. It's pretty interesting. One of the things we talked about was how procrastination is part of an adrenaline rush that students use to keep the "education game" interesting.

Some students feel like leaving things to the last minute is the most direct, time-efficient way to get assignments done with. They feel like the pressure is on and they end up producing fantastic papers that if they took real time to write, they would not have gotten such a good grade on. I do see where that is irritating: if you have a lot of time to do an assignment and start early, you could keep revising draft after draft, stressing over the project and tweaking it until it was "just perfect". Then where would you  be? Apparently, many think they would be at a B paper instead of an A paper, which many receive even if they have plugged away at the paper only the night before it was due.

What about you? Where do you stand on procrastination? Do you feel like it is a problem and that you are always racing against the clock to finish something?

Personally, I feel like I relate to something mentioned in that class. I feel like I hate my future self a lot of the time. I leave off projects in favor of sleep, or sometimes I will even invent cleaning and housework that just has to be done before I can start work on that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment